Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wonderful bad weather days

What a beautiful weekend. Sunshine and then some. Saturday Audrey and I went to my friend Staci's house for her son's first birthday party
then came home for our monthly dinner with Barker's college friends. Barker made a Semolina's favorite and Shannon even had a king cake shipped in! I love our friends!

Sunday was also gorgeous so Audrey and I went to Barker's soccer practice in Dallas, followed by Mattito's for dinner. Yum! But by that point it was too late to go to the store. Barker had been to Sprouts that morning but there were still a few items we needed.

Then on Monday while Audrey was at school the sun disappeared. I decided to go to the store in case the weather ended up being as bad as they were predicting on the news. Barker made a grocery list and I added about a hundred items to that list. I also bought Audrey Cinderella and a few new toys to help avoid cabin fever. Going to the store turned out to be a good call. Since Barker's job mainly depends on school districts being open, he ended up going to work Monday, then being off for the rest of the week! Yay! Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay! I haven't been so excited in a long time!

After two days of schools being closed most of my friends were beyond ready for their kids to go back to school, and to get out of the house themselves. Severe cabin fever was spreading. I, on the other hand, was stoked! No cabin fever here! I have loved having Barker home all week. He went through our garage freezer and made all kinds yummy meals like enchilada lasagna, pulled pork, green chili stew, pork chops, and even a coffee cake for Audrey. And she has been peaches and cream! No where near restless. We've had a blast. Barker even looked at me Wednesday night and said "You're so much fun." I don't think he's ever said that exact sentence to me before. (He says he has.) He calls me beautiful, funny, awesome, smart, and delusional on a daily basis. (Yeah, he exaggerates a quite a bit, except for the delusion part. That's fairly true.) But I can't recall him ever just stopping what he was doing to say "You're so fun" before.

We also gave the house a good scrub. I did the usual laundry and ironing. We read. We downloaded tons of new music. I reorganized our closet, and did a mud mask. Barker ran 17 miles this week, mostly inside of course. I ran zero miles, in case you were keeping score. Barker beat me at Scrabble, twice. Audrey cooked up all kinds of goodies for us in her kitchen and practiced her counting skills on everything from play money to magnets and even her daddy's toes. She also did a lot of dancing and got to stay up until nearly 9 a couple of nights. Tomorrow I think I'll get a head start on the Valentine's treats for Audrey's school and playgroup friends. I also stumbled across some old pictures this weekend.


Audrey looked at me like I was crazy when I told her they were of her Pop and myself, many years ago.

It was a wonderful treat to have Barker at home all week and I'm so thankful that he has an understanding boss. I'm always a bucket of nerves and I can't imagine how stressed I would have been if Barker had needed to try to get from our house way up here, to his office in Carrollton, and back again every day. They don't exactly sand the country roads in Prosper. So I was beyond grateful that Barker was able to stay here with us, warm and safe all week. We've had wonderful bad weather days, or as they call them at Audrey's school 'little gifts from God.'

No comments: