Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Halloween That Wouldn't End


Wow. Halloween was a marathon event this year. I think I'm still recovering, which is what I'm going to blame the lateness of this post on.

We had, I think, a grand total of 6 parties to attend this year. The first was the annual Arlington Mommies Meetup Group's Halloween extravaganza. We try to do a family costume every year. Last year I waited too long and couldn't find a decent Woody costume for Barker to wear in order to match Audrey who wanted to be Jessie. So last year he got a pass. But not this year. Oh no. This year was pure torture for my sweet husband. My costume options are always limited because I can't sew well enough to make my own and Halloween costumes you purchase are now all slutty this or hooker that. Seriously, I've seen slutty Big Bird. Big Bird! And I'm about as far from the slutty spectrum as it gets. I was in Mom mode long before I was a mother. So I instead had to work with what I had, which was a baby bump. So I took it and ran with it. And tah-dah! Our Gleetastic Halloween was born. On the show Glee there is a cheerleader who gets pregnant and puts the baby up for adoption. So I squeezed my bump into her cheerleading costume. There is also a coach that wears track suits every day and is never with out a whistle or megaphone, perfect for Audrey. And unfortunately for my gorgeous husband there is a guy on the show that looks an awful lot like Barker. He's only 3 years younger than us so I'm fairly sure he's not Barker's illegitimate child, but it still made for an easy Halloween costume.
 
Ain't nothin' but a Glee thang baby!

disclaimer: Please let the record show that the black stripe and white fabric of this outfit make me look WAAAAAY bigger than I actually am. Serious optical illusion. Yes, I'm pregnant but I still only look maybe 5 months along and no where near the 8 months I actually am and certainly no where near the 12 months this costume made me look. Ouch!
I do love my darling husband and since he was kind enough to humor me (or smart enough not to cross me whilst pregnant) I only forced him to dress up for 1 of the 6 parties.  So Audrey only wore her Sue track suit once as a costume, but has been wearing it other places. Since her daddy has a pair of similar pants, she thinks it's pretty cool.


The next party we attended was at Gabby's for the Providence group.
Since we weren't dressed up in our Glee outfits we let Audrey dress up as the Wicked Witch...see the red glitter shoes ; )


She kinda dressed up for the party at school. It rained so I stuck her in Wellies.
 And I think I left the hat at home.


Next get together was the annual Grapevine Halloween festival we hit up w/ Jo and the girls.
 Gray, Cam Cam and A

 I'll get you my pretty!

 Walking the streets of Grapevine. 
I should mention that this year Jo said she couldn't find any details on the city website about the festival. So we thought it wasn't going to be put on. But then Jo's mother in law said it was in fact being held. Yay! So we left my niece's first birthday party and hauled it over to Lazy Bones for dinner and to change A into her costume to trick or treat. However, Jo's mother in law must have gotten her wires crossed cause it was, in fact, not going on. We let the girls run around after dinner and someone clued us in that the festival had been moved to some winery or something. By this point it was after A's bedtime and she hadn't napped except for a power nap in the car. So we just went home. A was begging to go to bed as soon as we got in the car. No way she would have lasted through the festival anyhow. But the whole fiasco made us laugh and I figured Jo's mother in law deserved credit for getting us the details on the imaginary festival ; )  I'm sure Adam will give her a hard time about it every year at Halloween. ha!

Next up was the Providence Playgroup's party Shelley put on.
 Audrey played on the spinning metal wheel of death.

 And Vanessa made these creepy yet yummy deviled eggs.

Eventually the 31st rolled around and it was a good thing. I would have been Halloweened-out if I wasn't so looking forward to watching Audrey enjoy it. She was really into Halloween this year and asked a thousand times a day if it was time to trick or treat yet.
So when the big day rolled around she was pumped. Barker, being the doting daddy that he is, was sure to make it home in time to go with us to my friend Mickey's house. She hosted the party for my Prosper Mom's group and did a great job. I'm so thankful for all of our wonderful friends. We are very blessed in that department.

We trick or treated in small groups like last year, which I think is much safer and a lot more fun. Audrey was a real pro. She wasn't scared of the decorations and had no problem leading the pack to the front doors. She remembered to say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you' so she gets an A+ in trick or treating.
Along the way we ran into her sweet friend from school, Kylie.
So we made a stop at Kylie's for treats and hugs. 
It was the longest Halloween in the history of man but also the best I've ever had. It's so very rewarding to experience every holiday with your young child no matter if it involves candy, fireworks, gifts, flowers or leprechauns. I realize that these moments are fleeting and very soon she'll have kids of her own to take trick or treating, to watch fireworks with, to bake cookies for Santa with, etc. so no matter how pregnant and exhausted I was, I still enjoyed every single second of our marathon Halloween. And so did she. Audrey was too pumped to go to bed that night. She asked to go home and go to bed but once we got her there she couldn't stop talking about her glow sticks and all her treats in her basket downstairs. Best Halloween ever! (And a shout out to the best husband around. What a good sport.)

No comments: