A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked if she could practice outdoor family and maternity photography on us. She recently got a camera and lenses, and started taking lessons. We had planned on hauling A to a pumpkin patch anyhow so we met Jessica at the Arboretum and she snapped away. I've uploaded just a few of my favs here.
I should mention I was 7 1/2 months along at this point. And I'm still about the same size. A friend of mine was complaining recently about all the rude comments you get when you're pregnant. (Personally I'd take her rude pregnancy comments over the obnoxious comments you forever get about your kid you get once they arrive.) But my friend is due in February (and beautiful) and a total stranger told her that she'd never make it to February. Ouch.
I've been fortunate. I get the opposite. I have total strangers come up to me everyday and tell me I'm the cutest pregnant person they've ever seen, which is odd for me because I've never been 'cute'...to me 'cute' is like a Gerber baby. Baby cheeks and ringlets. And it would never cross my mind to stop a stranger to compliment them on their appearance. I may admire some one's coat in passing but I never think to stop and tell them. Just last night I went to dinner with some friends and as soon as I walked in they all said the same thing, you look so cute! I just laughed and stammered out "Really? Cute? ha. Thanks." Cause I just don't think I could ever see myself as cute. I just feel silly with this belly. And I'm so awkward with compliments. I've always been tan and tall. Not what I typically think of as cute. But hey, I'll take cute over the comments other people get. I don't think you'll see these pics Jessica took and think 'cute' cause I've never been photogenic. But if anyone sees me and really does think 'cute' then I'm highly flattered cause when I see most pregnant people I honestly think 'Whoa. She looks miserable. I hope I don't look like that!' I know that's awful, but it's the truth. I just see cute differently, apparently. Guess that's why I assume my husband is missing with me every time he tells me I look great.
However, after strangers stop and compliment me they then ask the question 'How much longer do you have?' And when I tell them they're shocked and tell me how small I am compared to everyone else they've known to be pregnant. The first time I was expecting and got the 'but you're so small' comments I worried, thinking I was going to have some 4 pound sickly baby. Not that I should expect to have a 13 pound baby. I was just 6 pounds, but I arrived at just 37 weeks and my mother was only 108 pounds. Then Audrey arrived at 7 pounds 10 ounces. So now I don't stress about the 'small' comments. Last time Baby Love was measured, he was big. And my doc measures my belly every 2 weeks and it's always normal, right on track, exactly the size it's supposed to be. I'm not sure why the belly looks small to everyone. To me it looks huge! Either way, hopefully Baby Love arrives at a nice, healthy size.
However, after strangers stop and compliment me they then ask the question 'How much longer do you have?' And when I tell them they're shocked and tell me how small I am compared to everyone else they've known to be pregnant. The first time I was expecting and got the 'but you're so small' comments I worried, thinking I was going to have some 4 pound sickly baby. Not that I should expect to have a 13 pound baby. I was just 6 pounds, but I arrived at just 37 weeks and my mother was only 108 pounds. Then Audrey arrived at 7 pounds 10 ounces. So now I don't stress about the 'small' comments. Last time Baby Love was measured, he was big. And my doc measures my belly every 2 weeks and it's always normal, right on track, exactly the size it's supposed to be. I'm not sure why the belly looks small to everyone. To me it looks huge! Either way, hopefully Baby Love arrives at a nice, healthy size.
I don't know why every woman looks so different with each pregnancy but I sure am glad that I get such nice comments daily from total strangers, since people feel compelled to comment. But it still catches me off guard. I'm used to people coming up and saying 'Excuse me, I don't mean to bother you but I just have to tell you that your daughter is beautiful.' Because most people are nice to kids. But it still shocks me that they are now complimenting me and Audrey, instead of just her. I've taught her to say thank you when people tell her how cute she is but I've always had a hard time saying thanks. I'm getting better about it but I've forever been insecure and bad about taking compliments. Even when my own husband compliments me my first thought is 'are you being sarcastic?' But I'm learning to say thank you, I'm just a slower learner than Audrey. I may be caught off guard at first and blush, but I eventually will sputter out a thank you. I do appreciate the kindness of strangers.
Okay- back to the pics. These pics made me realize that my dear husband might be in need of some smaller clothes for Christmas. He always loses a ton of weight when I'm pregnant, making me look bigger. Thanks babe. But seriously, these casual clothes make him look like a little boy dressing up in his dad's duds. I'm used to seeing him in a button down daily and the most recent batch he bought of those were all slim cut, so I didn't realize he'd dropped enough weight to make his clothes not fit. Guess I need to pay better attention. Anyroad, Jessica is still learning but we were able to give her practice for
maternity and family pics. And Barker provided photoshop practice, as he
still had a black eye at this point.











No comments:
Post a Comment