Monday, January 3, 2011

The gift that keeps on giving

The Thursday before Christmas my cousin Raymond's kids were sick. Poor Fisher, the youngest, seems to me a magnet for every virus, germ, or bug around. But they had been fever free and on antibiotics for a couple of days before Christmas. Still, I was hesitant to let Audrey be around them. I knew we were going to be at the ranch and I didn't want her to get sick so far away from her doctor. So against my better judgement, since it was Christmas, I caved and took her to exchange gifts and play with her little cousins. And she had a blast.
The next day Connor had it, that night Jeannie fell victim, too. By Tuesday my dad was sick so we high tailed it out of the ranch but by Wednesday night Audrey was running fever, too. I thought Barker and I had somehow lucked out. Then Friday I got word that the boy's Pappy was down for the count. I knew then that we weren't out of the running. And sure enough Barker and I both woke up Saturday morning with fever. Awesome. I was really disappointed because I was supposed to get lots of baby cuddles on Monday but I had to post pone that until I'd been fever free a little longer. That's something I just don't like to risk. But on the upside, between doctor appointments, antibiotics and lots of fluids, we accomplished several things that NEVER happen in this family. I got to read! And I don't just mean thumb through my In Style Magazine. Being quarantined and on the couch with my nook gave me the opportunity to sit still long enough to finish 6 books so far and start another. And I got to capture Barker and squeak taking a nap! Barker never ever naps but this virus really took the wind out of his sails.

We're on the road to recovery but seeing as how this virus was so highly contagious, we decided to lock ourselves up until we were as certain as can be that we were no longer a danger to anyone else. This thing spreads like wildfire. Audrey was disappointed she had to miss her friend Peyton's birthday party. When we put her to bed tonight she whined 'I want birthday cake.' I had hoped she would forget me telling her on Friday (before Barker and I were sick) that she was going to Peyton's birthday party. When it comes to cake and presents, that kid's mind is a steel trap!
Sadly, it wasn't the kind of virus that made me sick to my stomach or unable to eat. So it didn't help with my new year's resolution to lose the 4 pounds I gained over the holidays. Bummer. Losing a few pounds is normally the only good thing about being sick.

No comments: