This weekend we traveled a few hours south to Lafayette. I used to partner up at the gym with a guy from there so I knew it was Cajun country but that was about the extent of my knowledge of the place. But I quickly learned that buildings in Lafayette may be built with hurricanes in mind because Audrey pointed out, before Barker put the car in park, that the hotel was only 3 floors. Looking around we noticed everything was low to the ground. Hurricanes do more window damage to taller buildings because the wind is a bit faster higher up. She listened intently to what we were saying because she loves science but she still would have preferred to be in a hotel with 10 plus floors and indoor/outdoor pools. The girl has standards.
After some soccer Hudson had a run in with a overly friendly dog. Hudson, unlike Audrey, loves dogs. But one showed up at the game without a leash and was very excited to see Hudson. It jumped on him, scratching him, knocking him down on the soggy ground and making him cry. I held him for a long time to stop the tears, while I was wearing Arden mind you, and he finally calmed down long enough to play a bit more and enjoy the beautiful Saturday afternoon. But then the dog came back and because I was wearing Arden I couldn't get Huddie off the ground in time to stop him from crying. The dog didn't scratch him this time but the damage was clearly done. Now thanks to people that don't put their dogs on leashes around small children I now have two little ones that don't want dogs close enough to touch them. Great. Luckily after the second episode Barker saw me holding a baby and a distraught preschooler and took Hud off my hands to convince him he was fine and the dog couldn't reach him. It was clearly time to get some dinner and relax.
As we left Barker noticed that right on the corner of the street the soccer complex was located at, was a big, boring building with the words 'Animal Control' on it. Barker was like "Man that dog is really pressing it's luck this close to a pound." ha!
So we went to the hotel to clean up and get out of muddy clothes (thanks to the dog) and went to dinner at a place called Prejean's. It was a win! It had a fun little shop, live Zydeco and really good food. Half of it I wasn't sure how to pronounce, it was that kind of good!
In the gift shop area I found a book called Blanchette et les Sept Petits Cajuns, which means A Cajun Show White.
Audrey was excited about her new book so Barker attempted to read it to them before bed that night in the hotel but the Olympics were on and the figure skater's outfits suddenly became far more important to her. She loves to design clothes.
We finally turned the Olympics off and the two big kids crashed.
When we got up to feed Arden at 1 this is what we found, Hudson at the foot of the bed. He does this at home, too.
So Barker picked Muffin up and moved him up to the top of the bed by Audrey.
But this is how he chose to sleep. Sister makes a fine pillow.
So sweet how much they love each other.
I kept Audrey home from school one day last week and when it was time for Huddie to leave he went to her and told her to "Load up!" but she didn't budge. He told her again so we filled him in that she was staying home with Mommy. He got so upset that she wasn't going to school with him. He actually had little tears in his eyes over leaving her just once. And if he gets up before her he wraps his arms around her in the biggest hug when she finally wanders into my room. He just adores her.
He also likes to tease me so when I got up at 8 to wash my hands after changing Arden's diaper he stole my spot on the bed I had slept in and thought he was just too funny. Arden had either wiggled and wormed her way right up next to her daddy or Hud had put her there. I'm not sure. But I had laid her in the middle on her back instead of in her crib and the next thing I know it's a community bed.
Arden hanging out with her Daddy
For brunch Sunday I wanted to try out the Blue Dog Cafe. Audrey thought it was neat because she has a George Rodrigue Blue Dog app on her ipad.
Hudson thought it was a great idea because they gave out blue balloons.
Which he promptly turned into a weapon and tried to eat. I think both kids ate more at brunch than Barker and myself. It was delish! Def one of those places we'll visit again. Plus, another live band! This one played When I'm 64 (it was 50 years to the day from the Beatles iconic Ed Sullivan appearance) and my little Beatle-maniac stared at the banjo, double bass and violin most of the time we were there.
Another mini memory making excursion in the books.







No comments:
Post a Comment