After more than a week of celebrating we finally had Audrey's birthday party.
This year's theme was 'The Fab Four' because she's now 4 and she loves The Beatles.
Party Food based on Beatles songs:
Yellow Submarines made out of Twinkies.
None of the kids had ever had these so they weren't sure what to make of it. Some tried to suck the filling out through the straws. One even cried because she wanted Audrey's personal size cake. So someone very quickly cut it into 8 pieces. I originally wasn't even going to do a cake, just let her have a submarine, too. But I didn't think one would support the number 4 candle so I had one made to match the theme. Good thing or there may have been a riot.
You say it's your birthday
By the way- we made these assembly line style with Barker doing the decorating because I simply ran out of time.
Here Comes The Sun Chips
(Audrey loves Sun Chips but I'm mean and rarely buy them, instead opting to buy her the baked spinach chips which are healthier)
Ringo's Drum Sticks
(Jo's Idea)
Octopus's Garden: octopus shaped hot dogs
(I had thought about making these but decided hot dogs alone are gross so I just couldn't bring myself to make them look even nastier by shaping them into sea creatures. But Jo insisted the kids would like them so I caved and had Barker make those, too.)
Barker and I both looked at the spelling 'Octopus's Garden' and thought it looked off so I goggled it and that's how the Beatles wrote it so I did, too. Still looked odd to us though.
Sgt. Pepperoni Pizza
her yellow submarine 'smash' size cake
Strawberry Fields Forever Lemonade
Lobby cards from when Yellow Submarine was released in theaters
Since I had to have it at my house this year, in the 100 degree July in Texas weather, I needed to come up with some indoor kid friendly activities. I decided on a game of 'Pin the Tusk on the Walrus', put out a Beatles floor puzzle, put the Beatles cartoons from the early 60's on the telly, and I know this is so past it's prime and done but due to lack of options I caved and set up props for a kids Beatle photo booth.
For the birds:
Eleanor Rigby, Dear Prudence, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
For the lads:
I am the Eggman, Sgt. Pepper and I am the Walrus
And in case any of the mums had to participate to get their kids to join in:
Sexy Sadie and Lovely Rita
Lennon glasses
And Ringo's rings
Beatlemania
Cam, Ciara and Colin
Gray and Cam
Lucas
MG
Henry
Simon
I know, I know, you thought the first pic of Simon in the John Lennon glasses was too cute... and then you saw this one of him with a stache and now you're thinking "Oh no now that's cute."
Henry
birthday girl
Barker Beatles
Here Comes the 'Son'
cousins!
sweet kitten
I thought it would be funny to get the birthday buddies (born just a couple of days apart in December) in photo booth pic together. Didn't go over as I had envisioned.
But this is pretty darn cute anyway.
Hudson trying to escape.
Simon eating the Lennon glasses.
Beatle Hudson
in his George beard
At some point Audrey became the photographer...
her shot of her Daddy
Barker shaved his Beatle beard that morning
(thanks Love)
She also took this one of her Pop
Give Peace a Chance
myself and Jo
I know what you're thinking.."Wow! Barker and Adam are some lucky guys." Sigh. Johanna and I do not make handsome Beatles. I look more like the maharishi the Beatles went to visit in India back in the day and Jo looks like Luigi from Super Mario Brothers had a baby with Phoebe from Friends.
Who wouldn't want to wake up next to us? ha!
This is my favorite picture from the photo booth.
This was Audrey playing photographer at the moment Barker told me he snuck out and got me a gift to celebrate me becoming a Mommy 4 years ago.... a new car! Seriously! My husband ALWAYS comes up with the best surprises! I love my Acura and was no where near going out and looking for a new car but he and my dad discussed it and decided I needed more room, as in 3 rows of seats, for all the babies they're hoping I'll have. ha! Out of control. I haven't seen it yet, it's supposed to be delivered today (Monday) and it's a GMC. That's about all I know. That, and the fact that I'm a very, very blessed girl to be so loved, much more so than I deserve. However, I did tear up when he said he was trading in my Acura. That's the car I brought both of my babies home from the hospital in! I'm sentimental and would keep it if he let me. I mean, I don't want to sell our Arlington house because that's the first house we bought when we got married, it's where Audrey's nursery was, etc. I'm like an extreme sentimental pack rat. Most people keep way too many concert t-shirts or stupid things like souvenir shot glasses. Not I. I want to keep homes and cars for sentimental reasons. Maybe I'm the one that's out of control, not Barker.
***
Party People
Jack enjoying a yellow submarine
my cousin Mindy and her baby Blayne
Rebekah and Simon
Handsome Hank
Margaret Gray
(That's right, she poses AND looks right at the camera for me.)
My little brother Chase and the Mrs.
And this picture captured one of my favorite moments of the day, seeing Barker hold sweet Simon. He was looking at Simon like he looks at our own kids, like he'd walk through fire for them.
Jackson and Adam in the kiddie cave
Rory
An attempt at a family picture.
Would have been cute if Hudson would have looked up.
Would have been cute if Hudson would have looked up.
Take two...
Almost...if only Audrey would have been looking this time.
Family pictures take on a whole new headache once there are two kids.
***
Audrey opening gifts
What could Elaina have possibly put into a Sgt. Pepper bass drum?
That's right! Hand made Sgt. Pepper dolls!
Seriously! Are my friends super crafty or what?!
I was blown away.
Audrey showing Ciara one of those singing cards my mom always gets her.
Imitating the way the hamster on the card twirls.
Wellies!
She needed bigger wellies for one of her favorite activities, jumping in muddy puddles.
She needed bigger wellies for one of her favorite activities, jumping in muddy puddles.
The Brave toys were a hit.
And check out my face...my friend Mandy also had on her crafty pants and made a yellow submarine pillow with all of the Beatles on the other side. And not just the Beatles, but Beatle dolls!
Crazy, right?
Jo discovered you can dress them! How awesome is that? Seriously fantastic, as you can see by my face.
I have the craftiest and most thoughtful friends around.
You can buy things from my ridiculously talented friend Mandy here...
You can buy things from my ridiculously talented friend Mandy here...
http://hellomynameismandy.blogspot.com/
She's made custom gifts for me. I highly recommend her work, as you can see by the look on my face in the above pictures.
She's made custom gifts for me. I highly recommend her work, as you can see by the look on my face in the above pictures.
Hudson playing a tambourine
Oh and I asked my friend Jane to draw the Walrus for pin the tusk on the Walrus but she didn't make it until all but 3 guests were gone. But those 3 guests had a fine time with the Walrus.
It was a super fun party and I appreciate everyone that made the trek all the way up to Prosper to help us celebrate our sweet girl. She loved all of her gifts (you guys really know my girl and what she likes!) and seeing her friends. She's feeling four and fantastic! Life is grand.






No comments:
Post a Comment